Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Preserving Marriage

I felt impressed to share this with you all about a week and a half ago, but for some reason or another decided against it. But after tonight, I realize that I should have and so here I am.

I'm not a very political person. I find myself having little to say in political discussions, partially because I consider myself a good listener, and I will probably just end up agreeing or disagreeing with whatever is being discussed. But lately I've been feeling very strongly about a subject going on in the political world, that I feel a necessity for us to take part in. Proposition 8 in California.

There has been quite a bit of talk about the whole gay marriage topic for a few years now. But it wasn't until recently that our Prophets and Apostles have urged us to take serious action. Yes, SERIOUS ACTION. Like, if you aren't doing something about it, then you've missed the boat on the message your Heavenly Father was trying to get across to you.

Tonight we attended the Broadcast that was specifically for Members of the Church in California. We were invited, since we are in an area where there is a high concentration of Young single and Young married members. The official reason for the Broadcast was to address members of the Church and educate them about the situation currently going in California with Proposition 8, and what it means for the future.

However, Elder Ballard and Elder Cook also spoke directly to Cindy and I in urging us to spread the word through the means of Electronic Media. Lets just say that while Elder Ballard asked us to "Write on our walls" he knew that even though he didn't 100% understand what he was saying, that we would get the point and act on it.

My family, Jesus Christ and his church want all of us to get behind this movement. Whether you are resident of California or not. Whether you can donate 1 hour a week or 10. He wants us all to be actively engaged in this effort. I will probably Blog again within the next couple weeks about what the consequences are for our World wide church if this law doesn't pass in California. (Thank you to Craig for identifying that correction for me)

It's pretty late, so I'm gonna get off my soapbox. But if any of you want to join me in this effort, feel free to contact me. You can get more information at http://www.preservingmarriage.org/

1 comment:

Craig said...

While I agree with the entire concept of "preserving marriage" I have to clarify one point you made. The Great Depression started on October 29, 1929 (Black Tuesday) and the 21st Amendment was ratified (Utah was the 36th state - the deciding vote) on December 5, 1933 - 4 years into the Great Depression.