Thursday, October 30, 2008

3 Fold Fear

So throughout today's activities, I've found myself worrying about 3 different things.

Item #1~ School. Enough said, right? I'm not exactly doing school like my brother David, attacking 18+ Credit hours per semester. But I'm still thoroughly occupied some nights with HW to the point that in consumes my entire evening. The good news is, that I really do feel like I'm a good student, and that I can still do well this semester. While my mid-term grades aren't where I'd like for them to be, I can still take action to raise them.

Item #2~ Prop 8. I don't live in California, but I really feel like what ever happens on Tuesday will have an impact on my life. I've had friends contend with me on the subject, as well as random strangers on Facebook. The saddest part is, they try to make me out to seem like a narrow minded person that is trying to steal away their rights! As I read these stories about the debate going on, it makes me so sad for the people living there. There are already schools pushing the Pro-Gay agenda, and if Prop 8 fails, it will only grow and flourish there.

Item #3~ The well being of my fellow man. I'd like to put this in parable terms. Today in my Book of Mormon class, we were talking about Jesus Christ teaching his gospel to the Nephites. My teacher made the point that the Be-attitudes come after the commandment to repent and be baptized, therefore, they are covenants to be lived by MEMBERS of the church. Christ then compares them to the wise man and the foolish man, both of whom are saints of God, but only one of which builds his life on the firm foundation.
I have friends and family, whom in recent years I have seen make the transition from wise to foolish. It breaks my heart to see one of my loved ones distributing anti-mormon literature and setting themselves firmly on the opposite side from the Lord. There is only so much I can do to encourage them to realize the errors of their ways. No one returns to the Lord because a friend lightly suggested it. These people usually only return when they are compelled to be humble, and even then sometimes its too late. I pray for them, that they may have their hearts softened.

No comments: