Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Hit and run....

Well last night was definitely an exciting evening for our household. After work, Cindy picked me up and we went with my mom to go see her new house being built. Because we got there after close, we had about 45 seconds to run through the model home before it closed. Then took a a longer look at the house being built.
As soon as we got back, we invited Cindy's mom to come with us to my favorite restaurant, Famous Dave's. It was wonderful, as usual. By the time we were getting out, it was nearly time for us to pick up Sharon from work. So we swung by the Megaplex where she worked and picked her up. Apparently Sharon hadn't had lunch or dinner, so we drove her to Arby's to pick her up something.

Cindy and I waited in the car while Sharon and Colleen went inside the restaurant. After about 2 minutes, Cindy and I heard a very loud crunching noise, coming from behind us. We turned and looked at the street to see a very large black Truck backing up, and peeling out to leave very fast. There was a guy in the road screaming at the top of his lungs, "Somebody catch that (Blank) (Blank)."
I immediately jumped out of the car to run to the corner, yelling to Cindy that I had to see if anyone was hurt. I ran out to the middle of the intersection where this guy and his son had probably one of the worst rear endings I'd ever seen. They were in a newish small sedan, and lets just say the back left end had been crunched to nearly the drivers seat. There was a kid in the passenger side so my next instinct was to call 911. I asked the guy if he was hurt, but he said he was fine, with the exceptiong of being incredibly angry (I don't blame him), and the kid said he felt ok too. As I turned to survey the rest of the scene I realized that he had actually hit 2 other cars as well, and there were at least 4 other people, including the guy in the middle of the street who were all on their cell phones. I figured one more call will probably just slow the process down. I stayed for a few minutes just to see if there was anything I could do to help, but there really wasn't. So after the police arrived, we wished them luck and left. The whole experience left us all feeling a bit shaken, but at the same time, feeling very grateful the rest of the night, that it was not us involved in the accident.
The picture posted is the closest I could find on the web to a similar accident, only it was a smaller car, and the back end was crushed about twice as bad.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

scary! Did they ever catch the guy who did it? I am excited for our wii night next week! I will talk to Ryan tonight about details and such.

Laura said...

That is way scary! I'm glad it wasn't you that was involved.